Friday, June 25, 2010

Rothenburg, Germany



The hotel in Rothenburg was AMAZING! The room (a double suite) had two rooms and a huge bathroom. The breakfast was included and was wonderful. WE had bread, fruit, yogurt, eggs, meat, cheese, cereal and I could go on. Also, the staff was great too, they were kind and very helpful.


As for Rothenburg it's self, wow. All the building are mid-evil and and the streets are cobble stone. Bakery's, cafes and shops with postcards little are the main stores in Rothenburg. Speaking of stores, there is a fabulous Christmas ornament shop near the square. It had tons of ornament and things. There was even a giant one in the middle of part of the store. It was one of the little building things that moves by the heat (except the giant was was powered by electricity). Mac and I picked out our annual Christmas ornament there, I got a snowman, while mac got the Night Watchman.


Which brings me to our tour. At 8:00, in the square, we met the Night Watchman (with about a hundred other people) and started our tour. He is hilarious and it is definitely worth doing. During the day out side the Night Watchman shop, there is a manican of him! They look almost alike, although the real one isn't made of plastic.


Another thing we did was walk the wall. The wall goes around the city. At first we had a hard time finding the spot to enter (we did find a lot of dead ends), but after consulting the map several times, we climbed up the step and started walking. After maybe thirty minutes of walking we came to a tower that you could climb. It is worth it. The view was fantastic, both of the city, the new town, and the mountains in the distance.


Soon we grew hungry so Mac and Mom went to a playground right outside of the wall, while Dad and I went searching for food and a bank. Food was no problem but we needing more euros. The first bank we found didn't like the card. The second wans,'t a bank.....and finally we found an atm that worked and got some euros. Then we bought two pretzels.
That morning we had gone to the Criminal Museum. It was slightly scary.......but worth it. I found out that in the middle ages, all bread had to be the EXACT SAME size. Otherwise the baker got punished. I found that quite funny.




We also went to Saint Jacobs church. The ceiling was at least a hundred feet high. The glass windows were very pretty. But the main attraction was the High Altar. We took pictures, and I can not describe it, so I will post a snapshot of it. Short and worth while.




Overall Rothenburg was amazing and I am so glad that I got to see it. I really wish we could have stayed another day. :( But we took TONS of pictures so i am positive I will nt forget what I did there. :)
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment